Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A wooden ring takes the spotlight in a Broadway Musical

This scene which makes reference to a wooden ring is from
'A Little Night Music' a musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and book by Hugh Wheeler. Inspired by the Ingmar Bergman film Smiles of a Summer Night, it involves the romantic lives of several couples. Its title is a literal English translation of the German name for Mozart's Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major.

My sincere thanks to Marian who contacted us in her quest for a wood ring after watching her friend perform this scene in a current Broadway revival of A Little Night Music. She told us about the scene, how touching it was and sent us the excerpt. Thank you Marian.

Scene 8, Act 2
'A Little Night Music'
(A grandmother is having a conversation with her granddaughter ~ shortly afterward in the play the grandmother passed away.)

Madame Armfeldt:
A great deal seems to be going on in this house tonight. (pause) Child will you do me a favor?

Fredrika:
Of course,Grandmother.

Madame Armfeldt:
Will you tell me what it's all for? Having outlived my own illusions by centuries, it would be soothing at least to pretend to share some of yours.

Fredrika: (After thought): Well, I think it must be worth it.

Madame Armfeldt:
Why?

Fredrika:
It's all there is, isn't it? Oh, I know it's often discouraging, and to hope for something too much is childish, because what you want so rarely happens.

Madame Armfeldt:
Astounding! When I was your age, I wanted everything - the moon - jewels, yachts, villas on the Riviera. And I got 'em too, - all for the good they did me.
(Music. Her mind starts to wander)
There was a Croatian Count. He was my first lover. I can see his face now - such eyes, and a mustache like a brigand. He gave me a wooden ring.

Fredrika: A wooden ring?

Madame Armfeldt:
It had been in his family for centuries, it seemed, but I said to myself: a wooden ring? What sort of man would give you a wooden ring, so I tossed him out right there and then. And now - who knows? He might have been the love of my life.

( Fredrika falls asleep, resting her head against Madame Armfeldt's knee. )


No, it wasn't this ring ~ this is a Touch Wood Ring
hand crafted by David Finch

In this scenario, the beloved said yes!! With no regrets.