Ancient Kauri wood.
One new story and one very old story.
A lovely couple from Ohio contacted us a few months ago and asked if David would make them rings of Kauri wood. The couple specially ordered the wood from ancientwood.com and had the wood shipped directly to David.
The ring you see here is David's first kauri wood ring; his test ring.
Dusty and Erin's rings will be kauri wood with bird's eye maple liners.
Now for the old story. This Touch Wood Ring is crafted from reclaimed ancient Kauri timber that is aged from 30,ooo to more than 50,ooo years old. Ancient Kauri wood comes from forests buried at the time of the last Ice Age, which are located on the Northern Island of New Zealand. It is called the World's Oldest workable timber. Read The Kauri Story on the Ancientwood website. These points are from their pamphlet.
- The harvesting of Ancient Kauri is a very ecologically friendly practice.
- No standing trees are cut
- These incredible trees are excavated from underground and any disturbed land is carefully restored.
- Every tree grew for more than 1200 years.
- They stopped growing over 50,000 years ago.
This ancient Kauri wood is pretty spectacular stuff and it fills us with a sense of wonder to hold something so very very old.
Bespoke Wooden rings
meticulously hand crafted
by David Finch.
Touch Wood Rings